After a long day at work, nothing compares to dissolving your stress and backaches in a bathtub filled with warm water that erupts with beautiful colors and ambrosial smells. That’s why, CBD bath bombs are the best way to wrap up a tiresome day, say goodbye to your insomnia, and ensure a relaxing weekend.
I’ve tried several CBD products, and while some have given me positive results, others were a total disappointment. After using this recipe, I found that it’s more economical and fun to prepare my customized bath bombs. So here’s my way of making these stress-relieving spells.
How to Make a CBD Bath Bomb at Home?
Before I get into the instructions, let me point out that these ingredients are enough to make 5-10 bath bombs, depending on the size of molds you use. Moreover, while you’ll have to set the final products aside for 12-24 hours to solidify, the actual procedure doesn’t take more than 15 minutes, so it won’t be much of a hassle.
Things You’ll Need
- 4 ounces of corn starch
- 8 ounces of baking soda
- 4 ounces of Epsom salt
- 4 ounces of citric acid
- 2 teaspoons of essential oil
- 2.5 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1-3 ml of CBD infused oil
- Food coloring (optional): 5-10 drops for lighter colors and 10-15 drops for darker shades
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
Steps of the Process:
- Start by melting the coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove for a few seconds until it becomes liquid, then add it to a jar.
- Add all the other wet ingredients beginning with the water and the chosen essential oils. Then drop the CBD oil and mix them well.
- You can add the food coloring in this step if you want your bath bomb to have a color other than yellow.
- In a separate bowl, add and mix the Epsom salt, corn starch, baking soda, and citric acid.
- Slowly add a few drops at a time of the liquid ingredients to the bowl while stirring thoroughly with a whisk.
- Continue doing this until the mixture clumps together between your fingers. The final mixture should have the consistency of damp sand.
- If it still feels dry after you’ve finished pouring the jar components, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time while stirring until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Quickly put the mixture in the bath bomb molds.
- Remember to overfill each mold slightly and apply pressure to ensure that there isn’t an empty gap hidden below the surface.
- Put the molds’ halves together to make balls and press them well.
- Leave the molds to solidify in a cold place or the refrigerator for a few hours. Preferably leave them to dry overnight.
- Open each bath bomb mold without applying much force to avoid breaking them. If it doesn’t come off easily, tap on the mold a few times, then pull.
- Now that everything is ready, it’s time to jump into the bathtub!
How much CBD should Be in a Bath Bomb?
This an important question because although CBD isn’t a drug or a narcotic, you can’t just play with its dose, even in a bath bomb. There are many CBD oils on the market, and each product differs in potency and size.
Usually, the recommended dose of CBD is 25-100 mg per bath bomb. If you’re a beginner, I’d suggest that you stick to the lower limit at first.
To know how to calculate the dosage of oil, check the label on the bottle. It should state how many milligrams of CBD it contains. Suppose it contains 250 mg of CBD, then this bottle is enough to make 10 bath bombs, each containing 25 mg of CBD.
Tips to Nail Your Recipe
Now that you’ve known how to make perfect CBD bath bombs, check these tips and tricks to ensure that your bath bombs are flawless and perfectly customized to your preferences.
1. Have Patience
First of all, be patient when you’re mixing the wet and dry ingredients together. If you dump them all at once, the baking soda and citric acid will react and ruin the whole bath bomb. Stick to adding a few drops every few seconds while stirring with your other hand. If it starts going fizzy, it’s your warning sign to slow down the pouring and stir more.
2. Color Your Bath
Well, I added the coloring agents as optional ingredients, and you’re free not to use them if they don’t make you comfortable. The color of CBD oil affects the final color of the product, so mostly your bath bombs will come out yellow.
For me, I like my baths colorful, and I’m not a big fan of the standard color of CBD. You can play with the colors by adding different food coloring to each batch and make yourself a basket full of colorful bombs at the end. Just make sure that you’re using enough drops to cover the persistent yellow of CBD.
3. Extend the Fizzing Time
Bath bombs are all about chemical reactions. The reason behind the produced bubbles and hissing sound in the water is the reaction between the baking soda and citric acid. However, this reaction ends quickly. That’s why corn starch is added to slow down the reaction and prolong the fizzing time.
Since I make the recipe myself, sometimes I add extra 2 ounces of corn starch to the original amount in the recipe to prolong the fun fizz of the bath bomb.
4. Play with the Aromas
Basically, essential oils are added for the scent. Feel free to use different essential oils in each batch to set a different mood for each bath. Some people would prefer lavender or lemongrass. I like to use peppermint or chamomile. But the choice is all yours!
Benefits of CBD Bath Bombs
A hot bath is beneficial in itself for your mood and overall wellness, but if you combine it with CBD, it becomes a dream-like bathing experience.
The thing is, CBD oil has unmatched calming and soothing abilities. It improves your blood flow and helps with pain relief. That’s actually why you come out of the bath flushed and loose-limbed. Moreover, it’s a great mood booster, and you won’t believe how it nourishes the skin and strengthens the hair and nails.
Lastly, it’s recommended by many physicians for people with panic disorders and chronic pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory and relaxing effects.
Finally, Enjoy your Bath!
Aside from their incredible benefits, preparing CBD bath bombs is fun! I feel like standing in a lab wearing a white coat and goggles while, in fact, all I have is an apron, a pair of gloves, a little bit of science in mind, and a few drops of creativity.
My final advice is that If you want to get the best of your CBD bath, drop the bomb in the water, and soak yourself in for at least 30 minutes. Also, don’t forget to light a few candles and put on your favorite songs!