Meet Our Founder
“The time just came for me to stop searching and hoping and instead, start building the company I’d
Charles Smith is the founder and owner of Saha Self-care, a 100% black-owned and funded self-care company delivering premium hemp-derived wellness products designed for and catering to exacting customers of color seeking natural ways to soothe the daily stresses of life today.
Charles is a 16 year digital marketing and e-commerce veteran of the CPG industry where he worked on everything from start-ups to billion dollar global brands designing, building and consistently delivering best-in-class online consumer experiences.
After discovering and personally experiencing CBD in 2019, Charles realized the beneficial potential of hemp-derived wellness products and creating Saha Self-care became his new life mission. Although there’s been an explosion of new CBD companies, brands and products over the last few years, the industry is still rife with inferior quality products, mislabeling and a lack of transparency on testing.
Additionally, many new players are just in it for a quick buck and only looking to do the bare minimum when it comes to product quality, customer education, community building and championing social issues that affect the country today.
Through Saha Self-care, Charles aims to deliver premium, innovative hemp-derived products that consistently satisfy and delight customers while building a company known for inclusivity and integrity and that especially serves as a bastion to customers of color whose business has historically been overlooked and under appreciated at best or rejected at worst.
Charles earned his BA in Graphic Design and MBA in Marketing from Virginia Tech as well as a MS in Strategic Public Relations from Virginia Commonwealth University. He started his corporate career with Altria and has since worked for ITG Brands, Logic Technology, Japan Tobacco International and Reliva managing the digital efforts for such brands as Marlboro, Skoal, Black&Mild, Backwoods, Dutch Masters, Logic and Reliva.
So, why Saha Self-care?
“Hemp-derived wellness products have the power to make a real difference in the lives of millions of people looking for natural relief but the industry needs integrity, empathy and inclusivity…”
With all the CBD brands flooding social media these days, that is an important question for you to ask and a critical question I need to answer to your satisfaction.
To that end, I’ve compiled a list of my top ten reasons why I walked away from a comfortable corporate career to start Saha Self-care and why I believe, if given the chance, we’ll be your CBD brand of choice for as long as CBD stays a part of your daily wellness regimen.
- Many say in business, you should never sell anything you wouldn’t use yourself. Well, the truth is that the vast majority of CBD brand owners don’t use their own products. I use Saha Self-care products every day (morning and night) and taste-test every single batch of ingestible products we make. There will never be a situation where I haven’t personally tried a Saha Self-care product before a customer has.
- This isn’t a money grab for us. I use CBD personally and because of the results I’ve experienced, I believe in its potential and want to do my bit to ensure that only the absolute product possible is made available to the CBD curious and faithful out there. CBD is not a silver bullet nor a panacea but it’s worked for me and my family so maybe, hopefully, it can work for you, too.
- When you buy from us, you’re buying from a small business, a black owned business and a family business. We don’t have to worry about hitting quarterly numbers, office politics or stretching the bottom line. Do we need to make a profit? Yeah, sure. But not at the expense of the quality of the product or the level of service we provide you. Our customer is our ultimate concern and if you join us and you ever have a question or an issue, you’ll see what we mean.
- That said, our aspiration for this business is to become the first, global, black-owned natural wellness brand. If that means the most profitable, great. If it means the most market share, okay, we’ll take that. Ultimately however, we want to be a brand that everyone in the world knows, understands and trusts. So, all that to say, although we have humble beginnings, we’re going places and we’d love to have you along for the ride.
- I don’t know about you but I spent over 15+ years enduring the corporate grind and I never understood why the office always had to be such a competitive, oft toxic environment with meaningless, mind-numbing work that drove people apart and crazy. It didn’t and doesn’t have to be that way! One of the things I’m most excited about is building a brand, company and environment where it’s safe to be yourself, we encourage, understand and support each other and we work on things that are fun, interesting and keep our customers happy, healthy and productive. Be the change you want to see, I guess.
- I touched on this earlier but customer service is what I believe separates the excellent from the mediocre in this day and age. It boggles my mind that so many companies have poor service because, done right, it can be done so quickly and affordably but regardless, if you become our customer, you will always be a priority. If you’re not happy with our product, we’re not going to play games with you. You’ll get a replacement product on us or we’ll refund you immediately. And we’ll proactively reach out randomly to remind you just how much your business means to us and how much we appreciate it.
- When it comes to quality, I’ll put up our products against any other natural relief products in the world. That’s how much confidence I have in our ingredient suppliers and our manufacturer. I have literally scoured the market for the best of the best and if I didn’t believe I had found them, I wouldn’t be using it everyday, my mother wouldn’t be using it every day and I wouldn’t be putting myself in legal jeopardy by selling it.
- Innovation is a pillar of our business and we intend to have a lot of fun with it. Part of making CBD accessible and understandable is providing formats, flavors and doses that appeal to the widest range of people. So if you check us out and our current products aren’t your thing, just give us some time. We’re starting with CBD gumdrops because they’re a familiar format that’s easy to take and well, in our case, delicious! But in days ahead, you can expect new flavors, new formats, new cannabinoids and doses. We’ll always do our best to make sure we have something for everyone.
- More than we want your business, we want you to be healthy, happy and productive. If that’s by using Saha Self-care products, awesome but if not, that’s awesome, too. We will always be honest with you and always tell you what’s in your best interest. Although anecdotally CBD and other cannabinoids are making a positive difference for a lot of people out there, please do your own research. Talk to your doctor. Seek out sources that are established and trustworthy. And if you do take the plunge, start slowly and build from there. And if you don’t feel a difference immediately, that’s okay.
- In fact, it’s normal. Give it a month and if you don’t notice a difference, then unfortunately maybe CBD (or other cannabinoids) might not be the right option for you. You’ll never know unless you give them a fair shot though.
We care about all our customers and will do everything we can to make them happy but we have a value system here at Saha Self-care that we don’t compromise for anyone, paying customers included. We take care of each other and we will take care of you. But we don’t put up with jerks, internally or externally and we don’t put up with any sort of prejudice, period. We don’t care where you come from, what you sound like, how you dress, who you love or what you believe. If you’re someone who has a problem with that, we’re not for you.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you’ll give us a chance. And if you have any questions for me, please text me. I’m at (800) 558-8508 and would love to hear from you.
To your health, happiness and success.
Founder and Owner
The Vision and Mission
“No matter how big we get or how far we go, the day-to-day focus will remain on our consumer and their best interest. Quality products, affordable pricing, transparent manufacturing and robust testing. That’s it.”
The vision is simple: become the first 100% black-owned global self-care company whose name is synonymous with quality, integrity and innovation with regards to hemp-derived wellness.
We aim to accomplish this by offering the best quality natural relief products to help our customers live healthy, productive lives while championing causes that ensure equality, justice and opportunity for every human being. We also aim to attract, nurture and reinforce – through a shared passion of natural wellness – a community of loving, accepting, supporting and open minded humans who believe in – and fight for – equality, safety, justice and opportunity for all.
Our mission is to make the world a happier place for everyone by offering natural relief products that help our customers live healthy, productive lives while championing social causes that ensure equality and opportunity for all.
The final piece of our mission is to build a global support community centered on a passion for natural wellness and helping each other – and the world at large – live lives that are healthy, purposed and meaningful.
“The best way to predict your future is to create it.”
Although I’ve found speaking for the future to be a dangerous thing, there is a lot of truth to this quote indeed. In fact, it perfectly sums up why I walked away from a comfortable corporate career to found Saha Self-care. I was tired of working for companies and in corporate environments that I just didn’t find to be healthy, positive, uplifting or meaningful and so I decided it was time to stop looking and start building.
Right now, our focus is on building a self-care company delivering premium hemp-derived wellness products designed for and catering to exacting customers of color seeking natural ways to soothe the daily stresses of life today and doing that to the best of our ability. We’re going to take our time. We’re going to get it right.
Then, when it makes sense, we intend to take Saha Self-care global. Additionally, we’ll start to invest our profits into social justice issues and charities here and abroad that champion our beliefs on fairness, equality and opportunity for all.
How We Give Back
“Take care of the customer and the money will take care of itself…”
This is something I strongly believe in and is exactly why Saha Self-care is excited and energized to be donating 5% of our annual revenue each year to different charities and causes that we believe in and align with our mission.